The Difference between Optical Transceiver and Optical Module
Oct. 15, 2021
With the development of science and technology, the speed of urban informatization is accelerating, and the requirements for communication technology are getting higher and higher. Optical fiber has become the first choice for people in communication installation due to its fast transmission speed, long-distance, safety and stability, and anti-interference.
We often see that the long-distance data transmission requirements in intelligent building projects are basically optical fiber transmission. In fiber-optic networks, we often use fiber optical transceivers and optical modules. Next, the transceiver supplier will introduce the difference between the optical transceiver and an optical module.
1. The optical module is a functional module or accessory, is a passive device that cannot be used alone. It can only be used in switches and devices with optical module slots; the optical transceiver is a functional plug-in and is a separate active device. The equipment can be used alone with the power supply.
Hilink 100G QSFP28 ZR4 Optical Transceiver
2. The optical module itself can simplify the network and reduce the points of failure, while the use of optical transceivers will increase a lot of equipment, greatly increase the failure rate and occupy the storage space of the cabinet, which is not very beautiful.
3. The optical module supports hot-swap, and the configuration is relatively flexible; the optical transceiver is relatively fixed, and replacement and upgrade will be more troublesome than the optical module.
4. Optical modules are more expensive than fiber optic transceivers, but they are much more stable and not easy to damage; while fiber optic transceivers are much more economical and applicable, but need to consider many factors such as adapters, light status, network cable status, etc., transmission loss accounts for 30% about.
40G QSFP LR4 Optical Transceiver
5. Optical modules are mainly used for optical interfaces of optical network communication equipment such as convergence switches, core routers, DSLAM, OLT, and other equipment, such as computer video, data communication, wireless voice communication, and other optical fiber network backbone networks.
In the actual network environment where the Ethernet cable cannot be covered and the optical fiber must be used to extend the transmission distance, it is usually positioned in the access layer application of the beginning metropolitan area network, such as high-definition video image transmission for monitoring security projects and the last mile line of optical fiber connected to the metropolitan area network and the outer network.
The above is the difference between an optical transceiver and an optical module. In addition, there are several points to note when connecting the optical module and the fiber transceiver: the wavelength and the transmission distance must be the same, for example, the wavelength is 1310nm or 850nm at the same time, and the transmission distance is 10km; the fiber jumper or pigtail must be the same interface to connect, generally The SC port used by the optical fiber transceiver, and the LC port used by the optical module.
25GB SFP28 DWDM 20KM Transceiver
This point will prompt the choice of interface type when purchasing. At the same time, the speed of the optical fiber transceiver and the optical module must be the same. For example, a gigabit transceiver corresponds to a 1.25G optical module, a 100M connects to a 100M, and a gigabit connects to a gigabit; the fiber type of the optical module must be the same.
Shenzhen Hilink (HAILI LINK) Technology Co., Ltd. founded in 2007, is specialized in fiber optical products and networking solutions. Our main products are transceiver modules as QSFP, QSFP28, CWDM/ DWDM SFP/XFP.
Our networking solutions are including FWDM, DWDM CWDM OLP, MPO AAWG, etc. In order to provide better service for our customers, we also supply other kinds of related fiber optical products. Our products and solutions are largely applied in cloudy computing, data center, networking access, and so on. If you want to get more information about the best optical fiber transceiver, welcome to contact us today or request a quote.